Saturday 23 April 2016

Zero On a Zero, An Alternative to Eight.

I am not a motivational speaker, but if these words would motivate you, why not? I sure will be glad. Like the philosophers of old, let me share with you a product of one of my pensive moments.

I met my first obstacle to learning while at nursery school. This 'wall' was very determined to refuse my penetration, I thought. Learning to write the first ten whole numbers would have been easy, but for a single figure, the number '8'.

'1' was just a single move. '3' was two tiny semi-circles away, but '8' was that uncouth artiste stealing the show. It proved a stubborn member of the ten.

I could not let this triumph over me. I found an alternative. I had mastered how to write '0', so I drew two, one on top of the other. Was that not an '8', too?

So many times we dare not try new ways. We try to follow the methods people we have succeeded have taken in achieving their goals. Many times we act same as our friends have, fearing public disapproval. I had tried to be skillful initially, imitating steps from my colleagues. They had drawn their figures wonderfully, but mine was a different approach to arrive at the same end.

There are many alternatives to that seeming impossible thing. Pause for a moment. Think awhile. Seek a different approach. Try it (of course reasonable ones). You might not find what you are looking for, but you might make a whole new useful discovery. There is always an alternative to '8'.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, there's always an alternative. Nice piece there, you always motivate me with everything you put down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 👍
    You are really a motivational speaker to me.
    Not from reading this piece but listening to you.

    ReplyDelete