Wednesday 2 July 2014

AFTER PERSCO’S EVICTION FROM THE NSMQ, 2014



 

“Tell them when you get to school… tell Abuni… tell the SP’s… tell the teachers. Let them start learning the ‘nonfa’. It’s serious…” Those were the words of Jeffery, the ASP 2 (Assistant School Prefect 2) of St Peter’s SHS (PERSCO) for the 2014/2015 academic year. I had met him a few hours after arriving on the campus of the University of Ghana, Legon, a day after PERSCO’s eviction from the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ). He, alongside some of the ‘quiz boys, were returning from the ‘N’ block, where the contest was being held.

 He complained bitterly about PERSCO’s inability to win the contest the previous day, letting Opoku Ware SHS make mincemeat of us, ditto Keta SHS. “The quiz boys are not trained right from the start,” he lamented, attributing our eviction to this.

 Also, following, as part of the long procession from the ‘N’ block to the Night Market area, were some students of Mfantsiman Girls SHS, to whose school PERSCO had suffered defeat the previous year in the semi-finals.  Jeffery beckoned me to have a shufti at them, then, said, “These are form two students like you”. He resented the fact that PERSCO boys always started training when the competition was a few weeks away and not right from form one. Other schools bring junior students whom they hope would contest in the nearby future to observe proceedings in order to be conversant with what actually happens in the quiz room.

 As we walked, I was not fully buried in the chat we were having, but one eye of mine always strayed to check whether any vehicle would pass by, with the conductor shouting “Achimota”, so that I’d leave to board it. I caught a glimpse of my Elective Maths teacher, who had sacrificed his time to be with the quiz boys; who by so doing, had cost us our lessons on Trigonometry, but who, would have to return in vain. 

 I mused on PERSCO’s inability to claim the title for the third time, being runners up four times! The last time the boys had been at the finals was in 2006, when they were beaten by PRESEC, Legon, by five points.

 The passers-by continued their seemingly orderly procession, and I spotted one of PERSCO’s representatives, who had suffered defeat the previous day, from afar. I recalled one university student asking me, that afternoon, about the reason for our abysmal performance, after seeing the badge on my breast pocket. I resent the disgrace, though I did not show it. But I still believe the quiz boys did their best. It is up to the school to do the same. PERSCO must win!

No comments:

Post a Comment